Friday, April 15, 2011

16. The Chase

Well this story is a bit of a mixed bag. I don't think I've ever seen it before but it didn't really leave me feeling the way it should have...and I mean that in a bad way.

I felt the story just wasn't up to the challenge. The Daleks have a huge reputation in Who fandom. They are the Doctor's greatest enemies and he their greatest nemesis but some Dalek serials just make you wonder how they are so popular. Maybe they suffer from the weight of their fame and we expect too much from Dalek stories? I don't know...but I definitely expected more than we have here.

But it really isn't the Dalek's fault the story was a dud...the Mechanoids bear most of the responsibility. By the way - a space zoo right after a space museum? Maybe these robots were cool in 1965 but they were certainly awful in 2011. The Aridians were also pretty awful.

Hartnell era Who, I find, can be challenging...

On the other hand this story had a great start and was based on a pretty cool concept - the Daleks are so fed up with the Doctor that it's time to find him and put an end to his meddling. They were right -- if they didn't kill him he was going to make their lives troublesome. The Daleks on their own might have made this story into a success.

It is also Ian and Barbara's final story as they travel back to their home time in a stolen Dalek time machine. We see a bit of the old grumpy Doctor who goes off with Vicki (and Steven) and he says goodbye to the last of the original TARDIS crew. Soon Vicki will be gone too. The seeds of the lonely Doctor begin to grow.

I'll definitely miss Ian, he was a pretty good companion. I'm not as fond of Barbara but there were times when she was good. But more on them later.

Rating: 5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment